Do you ever think about if people see Christ in you? I do. A lot. And it hurst sometimes because honestly – a lot of times I don’t think they do. When people look at me do they see Love? Patience? Joy? Kindness? Gentleness? Self-Control? Peace? Faithfulness? I guess it all depends on if I’ve had my morning coffee.
Matthew 5:16 says, “In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.”
Let’s start this next week out right by exploring 5 ways to SHINE this week:
- Serve Others – Is there an opportunity in the community where you can go and serve? Last week my husband and I were blessed enough to go with my work and fill sacks for a program we have called The Backpack Program through Feeding South Dakota. They provide food for children who may not get a meal on the weekends when they are away from school by sending home a sack of food for them. We packed 3,640 sacks of food in 90 minutes along side another group. It was an amazing experience being able to give our time so these kids can get something to eat during the weekend. And they need people to do this EVERY week. This is just one example of a volunteer opportunity in the community.
- Say Something Nice – Find someone in your phone who you haven’t talked to or built up recently and text them – better yet, call them! Let them know you’re thinking of them and how great you think they are.
- Set Yourself Apart – If you find yourself in a situation that doesn’t seem quite right, walk away. Whether that be gossip at work or a not-so-great movie, now is the time to say No and do it God’s way. I know for myself and a few of my friends at church, that means that we are saying no to any rated R movies. If it’s not something appropriate for someone under 17, it’s probably not something that I should be watching anyways.
- Smile – This one should be easy, but sometimes it’s not because we get so busy or wrapped up in our own world. Smiling at the girl at the cash register in the grocery store or the person next to you at the gas pump could really brighten someones day. It’s a simple way to show love to a perfect stranger.
- Slow Down – One thing I am the most guilty of is getting busy and too focused on myself. When I get in this mindset where I’m focused on me and not on God or His people, that’s when I get myself in trouble. Slow down this week and I guarantee you that God will open up your eyes to a way you can shine your light to others this week. One thing I’d like to do is slow down to see people as Jesus saw them.
“This little light of mine, I’m going to let it shine…” Sing that song to yourself and remember it this week as we team up together and go out and shine Christ’s light for all others to see.
Prayer: Heavenly Father, thank you for putting a light in me to shine for others. Please help me use this light to do good things for others and glorify You. Open my eyes to things I can do to love people and show them Your love. Amen.
Discussion: What other ways have you found work for you to shine?